Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Words

Talking with teenagers can be very frustrating at times. I remember something from long ago:

Dad: Where you going?

Son: Out.

Dad: What are you going to be doing?

Son: Nothing.

Dad: When are you going to be back?

Son: When I get here.

That's about the way it goes, right?

I saw this one in the hallway at the hospital visiting my mother-in-law. She is getting better each and every day by the way. "Some is not a number. Soon is not a time." That ranks right up there with, "I don't know.

As Zig would say, we need to quit being a wandering generality and become a meaningful specific. Things are going to be much better when we are focused and there's a goal.

When are you going to block that guy? Soon is not the answer anyone wants to hear. Neither is sometime, right?

Words paint pictures. Words are very important. How you talk to them is a key factor in their success.

RF

No comments: