Monday, October 27, 2008

Another DW Stopper!

Got this today from a youth coach in CA:

Coach,

I don’t know how to thank you and I could write volumes about our playoff game this past weekend but I will try to be brief.

First and foremost…..we won 8-0, against an undefeated double wing offense that had been scoring at least 21 points per game. The game was played in blinding rain and 20 mph winds, so they passed twice and us not at all. Our QB scored at the end of the first half on a 60 yd. naked bootleg that fooled the whole defense. We get 2 points for a kicked extra point at this level. That was all the scoring for the game.

I switched our defense from a 6-2 to a 5-3 (and practiced it twice) with our best athlete at noseguard. This kid is a state champ wrestler at 105 lbs. and is a 10 yr old monster. He drove the center into their QB all night. My two Dts were able to keep the guards from pulling most of the time just by tripping them up. The ends crashed and boxed and the corners and MLB made most of the tackles. My fastest LB went out early with a knee injury and I replaced him with our safety who did a great job. The replacement safety never needed to get involved the rest of the game as they never got that far. They never got inside our 30 yd line. We completely shut down the toss sweep and the counter play.

I knew that we were taking a chance trying to make a change that quickly, but we had the athletes to do it. We will now be moving on in the playoffs and hopefully to the regions.

Thank you for your help. You made me look like a genius and made 26- 9, 10 and 11 year olds very happy.

Thanks again,

No comments: