Sunday, December 14, 2008

FREE TIME

Success is not a result of luck.
It is a result of how you spend your free time!

A few months ago, my friends and I were having dinner. The topic of success came up and I remained silent. I wanted to hear what they had to say. Someone who had been my friend for over 20 years spoke to the group, however, I knew his words were meant for me. He boldly proclaimed, "Success is all luck...luck...that is all it is!" He then looked at me as if to say, "You are a lucky man and that is it."

I didn't say a word, however, I confess that it hurt. He was one of my best friends and although it wasn't a direct quote -- he was telling me that he didn't respect my success because it was all luck. In other words, he could have done the same if he was just as lucky.

I mulled this over for a few days and then let it go. What could I do?

Then about two weeks ago my truck window broke and I had to park in his garage for the day to stay out of the rain. I was stuck at his home for six hours. During this six hours, I watched five of his friends come over and they all watched the comedy channel and consumed adult beverages for 5 hours. It was driving me up a wall! I wanted to go for a run, write, read a book, goal set, strategize or spend time with someone that I loved. Instead, I wasted 6 hours watching the comedy channel.

I am not suggesting that watching television or the comedy channel is a waste of time. Most certainly not. However, it was obvious that this was their daily routine. Then it hit me!


Success is not a result of luck.
It is a result of how you spend your free time!
by Ron White

No comments: