Friday, November 7, 2008

Re: EQuote of the Day: 11.07.08

I got the following email from Coach Carter in NJ who sometimes writes out his thoughts for the quote of the day as it is intended to for the athletes . . . and shares his thoughts back with me. We have had some interactions.

Thought I would share with you his thoughts and my reply for today:

Re: EQuote of the Day: 11.07.08

The policy of being too cautious is the greatest risk of all.

Jawaharlal Nehru


Question of the Day?

Does your team play to Win, or not to lose?

As Ad I watch a lot of games for a lot of sports. I see very few athletes willing to take the risk of going all out to win. So many play not to lose. It's unfortunate that losing is looked upon as negative. Many lessons can be learned from giving it one's all and failing.


Right you are!

My three sons, when learning how to walk, would go around with this BIG bruise in the middle of their forehead, their brains knew where they wanted to go, but the body could not keep up. They would crash and they did not know enough to put out their hands to break the fall.

BUT THEY KEPT AT IT TILL THEY GOT BETTER! They learned from their mistakes and eventually the bruising of losing went away. They actually became skilled at getting from here to there and back again.

Just think how many things we all have learned, even became skilled at, that first resulted in failure.

But we got back up on the horse and eventually became a skilled rider.

If I would have quit with my failure with Gail (the crush I had on her was brutal) who answered, "Me!? Got out with You? HA!!!!" DEVASTATING.

But I eventually learned from it . . . and the bruising went away. And I became just skilled enough to somehow stumble through things to marry the girl of my dreams.

This is a story I sometimes tell at our Be An 11 Seminars.

It brings down the house.

Be11!

RF

No comments: