Sunday, July 18, 2010


ON TIME

FREE TIME

by Ron White

A few months ago, my friends and I were having dinner. The topic of success came up and I remained silent. I wanted to hear what they had to say. Someone who had been my friend for over 20 years spoke to the group, however, I knew his words were meant for me. He boldly proclaimed, "Success is all luck...luck...that is all it is!" He then looked at me as if to say, "You are a lucky man and that is it."

I didn't say a word, however, I confess that it hurt. He was one of my best friends and although it wasn't a direct quote -- he was telling me that he didn't respect my success because it was all luck. In other words, he could have done the same if he was just as lucky.

I mulled this over for a few days and then let it go. What could I do?

Then about two weeks ago my truck window broke and I had to park in his garage for the day to stay out of the rain. I was stuck at his home for six hours. During this six hours, I watched five of his friends come over and they all watched the comedy channel and consumed adult beverages for 5 hours. It was driving me up a wall! I wanted to go for a run, write, read a book, goal set, strategize or spend time with someone that I loved. Instead, I wasted 6 hours watching the comedy channel.

I am not suggesting that watching television or the comedy channel is a waste of time. Most certainly not. However, it was obvious that this was their daily routine. Then it hit me!

Success is not a result of luck. It is a result of how you spend your free time!

He and I both work hard, the difference is when my work day is done my free time is productive and his is not.

My 6-CD Memory in a Month program was created five years ago in my free time. Every month I get checks in the mail because of this program and I will never have to do a single bit of work again for it. Five years ago I did the work in my free time. Five years ago my friend was watching the comedy channel and today his mailbox is empty.

Success is a result of luck?... No, success is a result of how you spend your free time.

Exploit Your Most Precious Resource

Time is your most precious resource. It is all you really have. It is your life. As long as you have lots of time, you can do almost anything. But if your time is cut off for any reason, all of your possibilities are cut off as well.

Queen Elizabeth I of England was one of the richest women in the world. She owned half the country. Yet, when she was on her deathbed, she turned to her doctor and said, "I would give all I have for a few more minutes of time."

Start This Very Minute

The time for you and I to begin to appreciate how valuable and precious each minute is� is right now, not a later time when our minutes and hours are draining away.

Action Exercises

Resolve to become an expert at time management. Work on becoming more efficient every day.

Ask, "Why am I on the team (payroll)?" Whatever your answer to this question, work on it all day long.

No comments: